Hospitalists find it hard to find time for exercise. The work week is very busy. The OFF week is also busy to do pending works and to recover. It takes 2 days to completely recover after working for 7 days especially if the week was very busy.
Here are some tips to help you stick to an exercise regimen:
- Set specific and achievable goals for yourself. This can help you stay motivated and on track. Start slowly.
- Make a plan and schedule time for exercise. Choose days and times that work best for you, and schedule your workouts in advance.
- Use the hospital building to exercise. Use long empty hallways for walking if you complete your work early. Use steps whenever possible.
- Walk to your mailbox instead of using car to do that.
- Do some work around your house during OFF week if you like gardening.
- Find an activity that you enjoy. If you hate running, don’t force yourself to run every day. Instead, find an activity that you enjoy, such as swimming, dancing, or cycling.
- Find a workout buddy. Having a friend to exercise with can help keep you accountable and make your workouts more enjoyable.
- Mix things up. If you do the same workout every day, you may get bored. Try different activities to keep things interesting.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you miss a workout or have a setback, don’t beat yourself up. Just get back on track and keep going.
- Reward yourself. When you reach a fitness goal, treat yourself to something you enjoy, such as a massage or a new piece of workout gear. This can help motivate you to continue on your fitness journey.
- Bonus tip: Watch a movie while running on treadmill. I do this and I can run for 30min non stop without getting tired.